Saturday, April 7, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 11: Lucky

Copyright 2018, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

This post as part of my participation in Amy Johnson Crow's 2018 version of the 52 Ancestors meme. This weeks prompt is, "Lucky".  The prompt reads:

Do you have an ancestor who was lucky at something? Lucky to be alive? Lucky at cards? Lucky in love? Maybe you have an ancestor with a name that reminds you of luck or fortune. There's always "luck of the Irish." Maybe you have a story of how luck played a role in finding an ancestor.

Luck surely plays an important part in family research. Actually, I believe it is more that the ancestors want to be found and are not in a mood to play you along and string out the search any longer.  Here are several such lucky days in my family research.

There is the ZZ Trumbo cemetery visit.  It was a week big on drama. And, how Man drove within 50 feet of the burial spot.  I would have parked out front and never pulled way back in to the spot he chose to park the truck.  If memory serves, I was not kind to him, asking him, why in the world he parked wayyyyyy back there. Who knew??  The lucky one, this time, Man.

Searching for Hezekiah provided a photo and a long lovely ride in the country side finding the cemetery.  As usual when Man and I parked the vehicle, we separated, he took one side of the cemetery, I took the other.  I believe this find was mine.  The story is here.

The search for Mariah and Joseph Remley and her sister Susie Blanton was similar.  Man and I first visited in the days of walkie talkies.  He took off in one direction, I in another.  I remember no-see-em bites and that he found the burial spot, alas, NO headstone for Mariah or Joseph.  We do have a photo from our first visit in 2002, and we revisited in April 2016.  I wrote about the 2016 visit here. 


Despite all that "luck" I still get shivers when I think of the search for Man's ancestor Charles Clifford and his new bride, Plutheria (Phoebe) Clifford Clifford.  Yep, as far as I know, she was born a Clifford and married a Clifford.

I was looking for the Cliffords in the 1851 Canadian census.  You can read all about it in my post, One Memory, My Best Genealogy Day, Well, One of the Best.  

Lucky me, the lucky researcher.  Lucky!




* #52ancestors

.

No comments: