Monday, February 5, 2018

Whatever Happened to America Bowen, Is She America Gill?

Copyright 2018, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

America, oh, America, where did you get off to?

America was born America Bowen about 1859 in Georgia per the 1860 US Census of Bengel, Bulloch County, Georgia.  Her parents were Hezekiah and Martha (Sikes) Bowen. She is enumerated with her parents once again on the 1870 U.S. Census of Bulloch County, Georgia. She is not found enumerated with her parents again.

I have yet to discover a marriage record for America.  To any dude, anywhere.  Or at least one that I buy into - - see end of this post.  *

That said, I have always wondered about America Gill and hubs, Peter on the 1880 US Census enumeration of Lockhart, Bulloch, Georgia:
     Peter Gill , age 22 and America Gill, age 20.  They are enumerated in the household of John and Annie Bowen.  John is her uncle (if I am correct in my logic here).


I have reviewed the 1900 census of 1320 Militia District, (Laston), Bulloch County Georgia, where we find America Gill, wife, age 45, born March 1855 (? maybe, this one is very hard to read), married 20 years, 3 children, 2 of whom still survive, born Georgia, both parents born Georgia; Petter Gill, age 45, born April 1855, married 20 years, born Georgia, both parents born Georgia, farm laborer.  It is interesting to note that enumerated nearby are James J. Woods (uncle by marriage), Samuel Bowen (brother), L. A. Scarboro (hubby of her 3rd cousin) and Absolum Scarboro  (uncle by marriage).  This is the last time we have found Peter Gill anywhere.  No death record, no grave, nothing in the newspapers I have checked (so far, you know, hope springs eternal.)


Let's look at:  America Gill is located on the 1910 U.S.Census, 1320 District, Laston, Bulloch County, Georgia in the house hold of her son, James T. Gill. She is listed as mother, age 55, married one time, age at time of first marriage 29, 3 children, 2 of whom survive, born Georgia, both parents born Georgia; James T. Gill is shown as head of household, age 21, married for 5 years, born Georgia, farmer; Ruthie, wife, age 18, married 5 years, 2 children, both survive, born Georgia, both parents born Georgia; Othello, daughter, age 4, born Georgia, Clarence, son, age 3.  Looking around the neighborhood, I still find James J. Woods and Absolum Scarboro nearby.  Brother Samuel is still around Laston, but not enumerated on the page before or after America and her son James. T.


This is the last time I have been able to locate America on the census.  I cannot find any death record, grave record nor have I been successful finding her in any newspapers (searched Genealogy Bank and Newspapers dot com, both of which I have paid subscriptions to).

You will note that in both the 1900 and 1910 census it is reported that America had 3 children, but that one had passed.  Emma J. Gill, daughter of Peter and America Gill, born December 15, 1880, died March 21, 1881. She is buried  in the Woods Cemetery, in Bulloch County, Georgia.  I visited here with the help of a Bowen cousin who is very familiar with the area.  Here is her headstone, remarkably well preserved.


And, so, even after a day's worth of review, I still ask, whatever happened to America Bowen, is she really this America Gill?  My instincts tell me, yes, this is correct.  See new link below for my next installment on America Bowen.

* I have found other researchers that indicate she was married at age 11 to a man in Marion County Indiana.  Sorry, I just don't buy that one.  Place and age both tell me, mmm, nope.

I have found a number of researchers that indicate she was married to a F. M. Davis.  I want to research him more, I am skeptical tho.  Skepticism reenforced by the 1910 census that shows the America Gill I am following around Bulloch county  was "M1".  Or, only married one time. That would be column 8, if you are wondering.  There is however, a F. M. Davis with a wife, America found enumerated on the 1880 U.S. Census of Emanuel County Georgia (right next door to Bulloch County).  I have found nothing more, yet, on either of them.

America?  Give it up - - I want answers!

NEW NEW NEW:  Updated after many hours of research, see my next post on America Bowen, America WHO?




.

No comments: