Monday, June 12, 2017

Trail of the Cedars, Near Avalanche Creek, Glacier National Park

Copyright 2017, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

July      2013

After our ride to Logan's Pass in Jolly we returned to the west side of the park to walk/hike the area known as Trail of the Cedars.  After parking we found the first section of the path to be paved.  We later discover this trail is a wheelchair accessible trail, either paved or board walk.  


However, there were nice stretches that were "board walk".  Man and I enjoy "hiking" board walks.


I am always fascinated with "roots".  Not just the family history kind, but, tree kind as well. They are almost artistic, when left and cleaned by the rains and weather.  I mean, can you see this strung with lots of little holiday lights??  In my imagination, I can.


Toss in (well, not literally, eh??) some towering stone walls - -

(He usually manages to get ahead of me when we hike, he walks, I stop and take photos, too many photos.)


No, I will not endorse this bridge crossing - -


I have no words - - - ahhhhhhhhh - - -


These two were just enjoying Mother Nature, Glacier and each other.  So sweet.


Another, I have no words, look at that glorious teal color of the glacier melting water.  This is known as lower Avalanche Gorge.


And, I am struck, even more now than I was then, at how clear the water is.  How you can see the rocks in that river. Every single rock!


I believe this is considered a burl.  Burls are prized for their beauty and rarity. They are sought after by furniture makers, artists, and wood sculptors. According to this web page at Wikipedia:  "Burl wood is very hard to work with hand tools or on a lathe because its grain is twisted and interlocked, causing it to chip and shatter unpredictably."


One last waterfall before we climb back into Jolly and head back to Tana.  But, first, we will stop on the shores of Lake McDonald in hopes of a sunset.  Didn't happen, but, still, well, you wait.


I took over 345 photos this wonderful glorious day in Glacier, a few more to share, soon, here at Reflections.




.

No comments: