Monday, September 7, 2015

Bonneville Lock and Dam, Columbia River, Oregon :: THE Trip, THE Encore'

Copyright 2015, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

I'll bet you all thought I had abandoned the trip reports, eh??  I am now officially well over 2 years behind.  Well, life happens and now and then I try to do some more posts.  Today, we go back to June 28, 2013.  


The Bonneville Lock and Dam is a National Historical Landmark.  It is about 40 miles east of Portland Oregon. The dam lies on the Columbia River between Oregon and the state of Washington.  The dam and locks were built by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, construction began in 1933 and they were dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in September of 1937.  The Lock and Dam was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in June of 1986.

We visited the Bradford Island visitor center and fish ladder.  First we drove over the "navigation lock" and then, past the first powerhouse.  As you can see you drive rather close to that first power hours.  It is just a weeeee bit narrow, and yes, a bit claustrophobic.  We were happy to have driven both directions (in and out) and not had to deal with too much oncoming traffic.


This appears to be something that will turn in the water.  The dudes will know what it is.  I just know it is HUGE!


Believe this is called a spillway.  It was stunning to look at.


We went into the Bradford Island Visitor Center building.  Down stairs they have glass walls to allow viewing of the fish ladder.  Now, I am not particularly interested in fish or fishing.  But, this was pretty cool, even for me. 


Not sure what kind of fish this is:


Now, I admit, I have a rather strange sense of what I find interesting at times.  I thought these were super interesting, somewhat gross looking, but, interesting.  I have discovered from some of the literature I still have (yes, two years later, I still have it, need it to write these posts, eh?)  These are lamprey.  They have 3 teeth. They are born in fresh water, grow up in salt water in the ocean and return to the fresh water to reproduce.  The female will lay between 34,000 and 106,000 eggs.  Now, that is some pregnancy, eh??  They swim with a snake-like motion and use those mouths to latch on to rocks so they can rest a spell. Still, they are a bit, ewwww, to look at from this advantage point.


Here are the fish ladders from outside:



And, finally a pretty flower, which after those lampreys, I needed.  This is Aaronsbeard St. Johnswort.  So pretty.


Before the day is over, we will drive over the the state of Washington.  There is an interpretive center over there that was so worth the visit.

Sometime, I'll bring you that.  In the meantime, I now return you to your busy lives.  




.

No comments: