Saturday, January 31, 2015

THE Trip, THE Encore' :: Umpqua Lighthouse, Douglas County, Oregon

Copyright 2015, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

June 6, 2013.  Months ago, nope, we are NOT in Oregon today.

We made a stop at the Umpqua Lighthouse and took a tour.  There are 10 campsites for rigs nearby, and more for tents. Even yurts!  There is a museum, which you can tour, and we did.


Inside the lighthouse:


Man went all the way to the top and captured these fabulous photos of the red and white lenses and such.




And, this is why Man was taking the photos.  I could not go up the steep, and I mean STEEP, ladder.  So, I checked email instead!


It is a nice lighthouse. Construction started on the new light in 1892, and it was first lit in 1894. It was a replacement for one originally built in 1855 and lit in 1857, which had collapsed in 1863.  The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.  


Yes, I enjoyed the tour, even tho I had to stay on a lower lever.  I was not born to be a lighthouse keeper with ladders.  Just not.




.

No comments: