Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Toys & Games" and "First Present or Gift"

Copyright 2014, CABS for Reflections From the Fence


This blog post  is part of my participation in a weekly writing meme called, "The Book of Me, Written By You"  You too can be part of this experiment/experience, there is information at this Facebook page.

I may or may not publicly share what I write each week. This week I share.

Week 17, the prompt is Toys and Games

Can you remember your first toy, or game?
Do you still have it?
Who did you play with?
Did you play board games?
Have you inherited any of your family games & toys?
Share some pictures if you would like to!

AND

Week 18, the prompt is, First Present or Gift

Can you remember it?
Who bought it for you?
Do you still have it?
Pictures or a description
Other special gifts?

I don't actually remember my first toy, but, I suspect it was some fuzzy stuffed animal, most likely a kitty.  As you can see, I toted it around.  My mother tells me I would tote them till they were in tatters, and she would have to replace them as they were so grimy with love.
Do I still have it, well, no.  But, I do have a small collection stuffed animals and dolls and a kitty did find it's way into the collection, a kitty that reminded me of those time, hazy tho the recollections be.  I don't have a photo of the current kitty tho.  Seeing that the kitty is many miles away at this moment there will not be a photo in the near future.

Who did you play with, mostly my brother, who was younger.  Board games, I have no memory of playing board games.  I have faint memories of playing Monopoly, maybe as a teen or young adult.  Our children played board games and sometimes convinced me to join in.  I am not a "game" type of person, I rarely play cards and rarely board games.

I still have my baby doll, she drank from a bottle and then, well, wet herself.  She has a few partial digits missing, her little fingers have quite the case of dry rot.  I believe I must have played hard with her, her painted hair is worn.  The clothes, by the way, are a remake of a prior, and well worn, outfit.  I made this rendition, it is blue because our master bedroom was shades of blue for many years.


I also still have my Toni doll, again, well played with and loved.  I even, oh, dear, hold your breath, sit down,  

CUT HER HAIR!


Toni made a previous appearance on Reflections, you can read about her here.  The dress in this photo was also sewed by me, about the same time as I did the one for the baby doll.

When I was a child, my mother sewed Toni a fairly extensive wardrobe, I wrote about it back in 2010.


This doll and wardrobe were heavily played with.  My mother told me that she always hoped I enjoyed the clothes as much as she did sewing them.  I believe I did.

Prompt 18, First Present or Gift.

I was about 5 years old when I received many outfits for Tony for Christmas, and a photo even survived.


(And, I was wearing a dress!  Gracious!)

My dolls, my favorite childhood toy loaded with great memories.


.



3 comments:

my Heritage Happens said...

I am jealous, I love the photos you have! Great job covering two prompts at once! I enjoyed your post Carol, thanks for writing it!

Carol said...

I did not set out to write two prompts in one. Just happened. Had it all written, went to do number 18, and went, whoaaaa. So, I edited 17, added 18 and the rest is publishing history! LOL

And, thank you Cheryl.

FranE said...

I can believe you still have the doll and clothes, but well, yeah, having a moment of memorabilia envy. Love the post. Keep them coming. Love reading.