Friday, December 13, 2013

"Time Capsule"

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence



This blog post  is part of my participation in a weekly writing meme called, "The Book of Me, Written By You"  You too can be part of this experiment/experience, there is information at this Facebook page.

I may or may not publicly share what I write each week. This week I share.

Week 8 is "Time Capsule"

1.      You can choose who to create the time capsule for as that will influence what you put (or would put into your time capsule)

2.      The creation of a time capsule

     a.       you can do this in the literal sense or

     b.      you can simply write what you would place into your time capsule and why. It is much more fun to create though!

You may choose to create a time capsule for your children, or a niece/nephew, for grandchildren – A physical item that you will give to a named person.

Why have you chosen that person and when do you intend for them to have it?

You may choose to create a time capsule of your home and leave it for someone in the future to find.

You may want to create a time capsule relating to an actual event or anniversary

If you create a physical time capsule, what did you choose to use as your capsule and why?

Let's see, there was this time we enclosed the basement for a rec room, and behind the walls we left our names and the date, but, somehow, I don't think that qualifies as a time capsule.  SOOOOOOO:

After some contemplation, I decided since I cannot leave ALL of my house and my heirlooms to my family, I would try to pack into my hope chest the best of the best.  This chest was made by Mr. Lantz of Broadway, Rockingham County, Virginia.  He made furniture for both of my grandmothers, my parents, and I have some of his last pieces.  Three generations appreciated his simple clean lines of furniture.


This chest is not that large, so, choices will have to be careful, wise, and probably many will need to be digital.  That concerns me, as I believe that hard copies, paper, books, have and will continue to outlast digital.  This fancy smancy digital stuff is just changing too fast.  I fear that in 15 years, the high tech storage will not be so high tech.  OH, what's a gal to do??

So, I would leave this chest of love and treasures to my grandtwins.  I think that they should have access to it any time they wish, but, would like it if they would at least open it and investigate once a year, let's pick a date, oh, let's make it on my birthday.  Yea, I think I like that.  In the year that they turn a 10, like when they turn 20, or 30, or 40, I would hope they would take out each item, and slowly absorb what is there, touch, reflect, remember, learn from the contents.

Now, the contents.  Of course, my entire genie data base, with all it's faults and errors, photos, discoveries, good and bad.  ALL THE STORIES!  The memories, those special times that I try to reflect in my genie data base.

Photos, of course, most likely digital of course.  They have my permission to glean out the thousands of "scenery" photos Man and I took in our travels.  I understand.  I would also urge them to make copies on their computers, or whatever follows computers, for their own enjoyment and so that those images survive in the new technology.

I might toss in a favorite doll or maybe my Steiff bears.  I have two Steiffs, one for each.


And, I would leave in that chest a gigantic supply of love and happiness.

Hope it all fits, and if not, I will find a larger container, or two, or - - -

.

No comments: