Thursday, July 25, 2013

THE Trip, THE Encore' :: Yosemite Valley, Yosemite National Park, California

Copyright 2013, CABS for Reflections From the Fence

April 22, 2013 NOTE THE DATE! Reflections is almost 3 months behind the real time visits.

Today we would drive to the heart of Yosemite, the Yosemite Valley, home of the Bridal Veil Falls, the Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls, El Capitan and more!

On the way in we stopped a few times for photos.   I did not record exactly where this was.


I of course spied water.  Really, I did. See what Sony Too found, yes, standing in the same place, zoom.  Water fall(s)!  Win!


How's this for a really cool piece of history??  President Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir, and a campfire.


This is Bridal Veil Falls, there is a pathway to the falls that takes you up very close and yes, you get wet!  All that mist makes for an interesting effect.  Indeed, almost as if it were a bride's veil.


As you turn to go back down the path, if the sun is just right, you may catch a rainbow low to the ground, do you see it?  JUST over the rocks.


From another vantage point, the Bridal Veil Falls.


Zoom, from the same vantage point.  Note how the water comes down in different ways, in this photo the falls split higher.  Fascinating, right??  I thought so.


This is El Capitan to the far right and left of that is a water fall.  Look about 1/3rd from the far left of the photo, yes, there it is, a thin fall, I believe it is "Ribbon Fall".  If I have that right, you can really see why it is named thusly.


At one stop for photos we ran into (almost walked into) MOC friends John and Betsy and Dave.  You know, it really is a small world.  They were parked south of the park, and we knew they would be in the Valley area sometime during the same day.  But, to actually meet up with them was so much fun.  We all had lunch together and had a nice visit.

The Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls.  Taken from the vicinity of the Visitor's Center.


A close up (zoom) of the Upper Falls through the trees.


Close up (via Sony Too zoom) of the Lower Falls, and you can see there are several falls here, a series of falls the way I see it.


As we left the park one last view of a fall, I believe it is the Bridal Veil Falls, once again.


I am going to end this post on Yosemite by showing you my favorite photo of the day, and actually, of the entire visit to Yosemite, The Upper Yosemite Falls as viewed through a Pacific Dogwood with spectacularly perfect blooms.  This was taken from the area between Yosemite Village and the Visitor Parking lot.  We were tired, had a LONG drive back to Groveland to the campground, Man was setting a brisk pace walking back to Jolly.  But, I saw these dogwoods, and the blooms were low(er) to the ground, just begging me to try some captures.  So, I stopped and shot off several fast photos.  There is another photo over at Flora and Fauna.  (I am posting the link before the photo and post are actually published, sure hope this works!)


We left Yosemite with much left to see and do.  Many of the roads were still closed due to snow.  Therefore, Yosemite remains on our bucket list.  Not a bad place to visit on a re-do, eh?




.

3 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

Well if you are three months behind, that just means THE trip THE encore will last for another three months after you get home. At least for the rest of us. LOL

By the way that last picture is spectacular!

Jana Iverson Last said...

Wonderful photos Carol! That last one is especially beautiful!

Lynne Carothers said...

Yosemite is the symbol of my youth. It remains in my soul. I used to backpack in the summer along the John Muir Trail. I remember being at the top of Bridal Veil Falls. I think I have a photo somewhere. Hmmm. got to find it.

My favorite mountain of all times is Half Dome. Yes, I hiked to the top of that as well. I do have pics of that. What an amazing memory. I sure wish I could still do it but ... alas.

I love your Yosemite posts. Thank you for all of them!